Top 10 Wines for the Summer
Let’s face it, the Beard and I are wine people. And we’re parents. So we’re really really wine people. Since the Beard happens to be in the wine industry (and that may or may not be the reason I married him), I asked him for his expert opinion on the top 10 wines for the summer…for parents (in no particular order).
Because we can parent without wine, but why would we?
1. Gabrielskloof Rosebud – a beautifully pink syrah/viognier rosé style wine which pairs well with those gorgeous summer evenings when the kids are playing nicely together, the parents are playing nicely together, and nobody’s crying/screaming/bleeding…ok wait, if that ever happens then you damn well better be popping a bottle of French champagne. But for other evenings when you tick at least one of those boxes (ok half a box), then you should be drinking this.
R90 at publik.co.za
2. Radford Dale Thirst Gamay Noir – a light red with notes of cherry which perfectly complements potty training, poo-ey underpants and poo on the couch. All things poo, basically. Top tip: throw the underpants away and move on.
R160 on publik.co.za
3. Crystallum Peter Max – a pinot noir bursting with the flavours of strawberry, blueberry and cranberry, perfect for a post-tantrum drink – or a mid-tantrum drink, or even a pre-tantrum drink – it’s delicious either way.
R285 on publik.co.za
4. Fram chardonnay – a crsipy, “zippy”, citrussy chardonnay with 8% chenin blanc, for those days when you’re solo parenting and struggling to remember why you decided to have children. If you must, one and done – that’s all I’m going to say.
R120 on cybercellar.com
5. Usana Pinot Gris – the most fabulously crisp and refreshing wine with hints of pear, apple and honey to enjoy while ignoring screaming children, sibling rivalry and mommymommymommymommymommmymommymommymommy.
R95 on cybercellar.com
6. Swerwer Chenin – a chenin with a combination of stonefruit and citrus flavours for those rare evenings when all the kids are asleep, in their own beds, and you’re still awake enough to watch five minutes of Netflix.
R245 on publik.co.za
7. Kolab Project Red “Disturbance Red” – teething. Enough said.
R165 on publik.co.za
8. Spiderpig Bro/Zay – another rosé – because summer – a colombar/cinsault blend which pairs beautifully with grommets, ER visits or any other medical emergency.
R105 on publik.co.za
9. Flight of the Jackass Cinsault – a charming, easy-drinking cinsault from Alheit Vineyards, to savour after repeated episodes of projectile vomiting (because it’s never just one, is it?).
R180 on publik.co.za
10. And finally, Saltare Brut Nature – the perfect bubbly for back-to-school celebrations, birthdays, anniversaries, break up days, Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays…
R220 on publik.co.za
There you have it: 10 wines to make every parenting situation bearable. You’re welcome. Because parenting is hard but parenting without wine is harder.
Disclaimer: This is not a sponsored post. The Beard part-owns Publik Distribution and SpiderPig Wines, but these are his own, honest opinions.